Lent (Part 3): Almsgiving

This is the final part of my series of posts on the three pillars of Lent: prayer, fasting, and almsgiving. As I have mentioned before, the point of these lenten practices isn't just to follow all the church rules. These practices are transformative and help clear our hearts, minds, and bodies so that we can truly appreciate Christ's suffering and can experience the joy of the resurrection as if for the first time. Today, we deal with almsgiving.

What is almsgiving?
First of all, what is almsgiving? Almsgiving in the simplest sense is giving money and goods to the poor. More broadly, it also includes any acts of service that are done for others (volunteering, bringing someone a meal, etc.).

But almsgiving isn't ultimately about our efforts to help fix the problems in the world around us. The goal of almsgiving is not to become humanitarians, although of course working for social good is a valuable endeavor. Instead, almsgiving is part of charity, which has everything to do with love, specifically selfless or self-giving love. Charity begins with God's generous love for us, which we then reciprocate. In other words, "We love because he first loved us" (1 John 4:19). And our love of God then extends to loving those around us with the same selfless love that God has shown to us, because "Anyone who loves God must also love their brother and sister" (1 John 4:21).

Charity
William-Adolphe Bouguereau (c. 1878)
That's why the virtue of charity is often represented in Christian art as a mother with multiple infants surrounding her—nursing from her, reaching out to receive something from her, hanging on her. She gives and loves endlessly, selflessly. That is charity, and that is the point of almsgiving. The first two pillars of Lent—prayer and fasting—focus on our own hearts, minds, and bodies; but almsgiving, although it can also benefit us, turns us outward toward others. And it is for that reason that we especially need this third pillars.

So what does this look like?
For my almsgiving goal, I am working on decluttering one area of our house per day and donating whatever I think we don't really need. There are also some nicer items that I can sell, so my plan is to give the proceeds to one of our favorite non-profits, which was started by some folks at our church to help feed hungry children in the Dominic Republic (Mika's Lunch). Dominic is also helping with this project, although on a smaller scale.

In addition to the turning of our hearts toward others, this almsgiving project does also benefit us. I will admit that part of this project is simply spring cleaning and something that people often do even if they have no idea what Lent is (although to be honest, I am someone who needs the discipline of Lent to help me along!). But the decluttering and cleansing of our physical space also complements the decluttering and cleansing of our hearts, minds, and bodies that result from the other lenten practices of prayer and fasting.


Before
So far I have cleaned mostly closets and drawers, so not much looks different. But yesterday I cleaned the part of our kitchen counter that is near the back door and basement door (i.e., the place that collects junk, important things that need to be taken to the basement or outside, and everything in between). And see this 40 Bags in 40 Days Decluttering Challenge for a chart to plan daily areas to clean, as well as excellent ideas of all the areas that need to be addressed.


After
And for Josephine, I gave her the choice between giving the money she earns from doing chores to help children who are hungry or sorting through her toys and giving some away. And to my great surprise, she chose the latter and even offered to give away some of her most prized toys. I hadn't anticipated that this would be such an easy and joyful a task for her!

I know we're already almost two weeks into Lent, but there is still so much more of Lent ahead of us than behind! So it's not too late to incorporate almsgiving into your own lenten practice!

And immediately after I finished cleaning the countertop,
these two decided to empty the entire toy box,
as well as all the shoes and boots in the front coat closet,
and to cache their collection in a random corner
of the dining room.
And then to sit on said cache. So bizarre.
And I think they are trying to undo all of my hard work!
Prayers for the Poor, Sick, and Hurting
As part of the practice of almsgiving, we also try to incorporate prayers for the poor, sick, and hurting. For example: 

Make us worthy, Lord,
To serve our fellow men
Throughout the world
Who live and die
In poverty or hunger.
Give them through our hands
This day their daily bread
And by our understanding love
Give peace and joy.
Mother Teresa of Calcutta

For I Am Poor and Needy
Even when we are helping those less fortunate than ourselves, it is good to remember that we are all poor and needy before God. These psalms are perfect to pray in connection with our almsgiving: 

Psalm 40:17
As for me, I am poor and needy,
but the Lord takes thought for me.
You are my help and my deliverer;
do not delay, O my God!

Psalm 86:1-2
Incline your ear, O Lord, and answer me,
for I am poor and needy.
Preserve my life, for I am faithful to you;
save your servant, who trusts in you—you are my God.

Psalm 109:21-23
But you, Sovereign Lord,
help me for your name's sake;
out of the goodness of our love, deliver me.
For I am poor and needy,
and my heart is wounded within me.
I fade away like an evening shadow; 
I am shaken off like a locust.

Comments

Popular Posts